BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Save Me

So today's workout was much better than last nights; it totally left me in a better mindset.  I think it was a lot better for quite a few reasons; mostly that it was swimming, which I've always loved to do.  I'm not super great at it yet, I'm no olympic swimmer or anything, but, I really enjoy it.

Ever since I was a kid, I lived near a lake that my Dad would take me to pretty much every weekend.  I absolutely LOVED going there; I'd be in the water all day, it was so relaxing.  And when I was in high school, I'd go down to our private beach just about every chance I got,  almost every day in the summer....I seem to remember swimming fully clothed during the 4th of July fireworks one year.. why I did that, I don't know.  But anyways..

Throughout my swims, I always end up doing the backstroke at some point, and it always reminds me of the day that my Dad taught me how to do this at Gardner's lake.  I was still terrified of swimming in water over my head at this point, I think I was 8.  But I ended up getting over that fear by accident while doing this stroke; I started out trying to do the backstroke towards the beach, but somehow ended up getting turned around and went out Really really far; past the dock.  Thankfully, I stopped swimming at some point, realized where I was and freaked out, and anxiously tread water until my Dad came to get me.  After he brought me back to shore, I realized I was scared, but, I survived.

So, I know it sounds weird, but I like this memory.  It reminds me that whenever I was in trouble, my Dad was there for me.  And it also reminds me that when I face things that scare me, sometimes, I realize that I'm more capable of floating through it than I thought.

"Save Me" by Brian May is from the 1980 album The Game