BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, May 2, 2011

Put Out The Fire

   I swear I am not un-American, nor do I in anyway condone terrorist attacks, or minimize the absolute death and destruction of 9/11.  But I do find the notion of people celebrating someone's death to be perplexing.
   When I heard about Bin Laden's death on my ride to work this morning I had mixed feelings.  Hearing about thousands of people gathering at various locations to cheer and celebrate the news, I thought "how strange".  One student interviewed by NPR had remarked in wonder that nothing can unite the American people like the death of one person.  Not a budget resolution, not reducing the nation's unemployment rate, not even natural disasters domestic or abroad.  And it got me realizing that, maybe I wasn't the only one to think that celebrating this "victory" was a bit strange.    Here was a man who undoubtedly was responsible for thousands of deaths, which just about everyone will agree is a heinous thing.  And so, I wonder, how it is that we've come to celebrate this man being killed; how does any death ever come to be celebrated? Does that strike anyone else as at least a bit odd?   Is an eye for an eye really right?  I'm not sure; I'm really not sure. 
I just watched a snippet on TV of someone commenting at a White House press conference that President Obama made "the gustiest call of any President in recent history".  I'm not so sure that ordering someone's assassination is gutsy. I can think of many other things that would more rightly fit into that category.
   And I guess, my other thought is, realistically, this man's death in no way signals an end to terrorism as we know it.  There are undoubtedly tens if not hundreds of others in the terrorist network who will likely take up the lead and run with it.  
   Seeing the quote below on several friends' Facebook pages today helped allay any concerns I had that maybe I was alone in my reservations about these celebrations.  These words were spoken by someone I consider to be one of the gutsiest leaders in our nation's history, and knowing that, I am proud to be able to say I can relate to it.  
  
"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr.


"Put Out The Fire" is from the 1981 Album Hot Space.  All seriousness aside,
this is really still the most awful Queen album of all time.  But the song title fit. 

2 comments:

William said...

Well...I can't say I disagree about cheering for someone's death. For some, it brings a (false) sense of closure, and I can respect the idea. For others it seems to be pride that 20 SEALs were able to execute a mission many years in the making, to include time to build a copy compound and endless repetitions. Don't get me wrong, I fully respect the SEALs and other SpecFor, and the other supporting elements my fellow service members make up. I applaud them on a Mission Complete. I do not, however applaud killing, though I hold no remorse nor sadness in his death.

The decision to assassinate someone is quite a difficult decision. I've heard that it was desired to take him alive, if possible, though I fully doubt that Osama would have ever allowed himself to be taken alive.

One problem with a terrorist organization is that there are usually factions within that have slightly different tactics and goals, but are willing to follow a single leader. When that leader is removed, the factions may decide to become even more extreme and split up, no longer working together. While this may seem a good thing, it makes it much more difficult to track them and deal with them.

Killing someone does not undo what was done; ask any relative of a murder victim. Is the world better off with Osama dead? I honestly can't say. Our society is fickle on so many things. We release people from prison when it is well known they will do the same crimes again, and destroy people's lives for a stupid act as a young adult that they won't ever do again. We celebrate the death of those seen as dictators and terrorists, and mourn the loss of other world leaders, when the difference in their positions is nearly invisible.

Sarah A to Z said...

William, I was mostly curious what your reaction would be, being a man in the service. I appreciate your response wholeheartedly, and I appreciate your sort of "insider" perspective on it.
And Damn, that last point you made; really valid and thoughtful point; I truly couldn't have said it better myself.. er... wrote it.
I was thinking again about this today, when I was reading that Osama was a deeply spiritual and pious man.... Hard to envision; though I guess there are different forms of spirituality. I'll stick to my peaceful variety!