"Into every life a little rain must fall"
This morning I did the True Colors 5K with my BFF. The sky was overcast, but it wasn't raining, so.. Somehow I got the idea in my head that it just wouldn't rain for the entire race; I'd thought it would hold off til the afternoon (this is why I"m not making money as a meteorologist right now). After all, it has NEVER rained during ANY of the previous 10 or so races I've done already, so... it just couldn't happen ever, I thought.
Well, it did! And not too long after we lined up for the start, a steady rain started.. And then, around mile 1 I think, it changed to more of a downpour. It was icky, to say the least. Especially since, somewhere along the way to my adulthood, I've developed a particular aversion to being in rain at all (as a kid I was a serious tomboy). So, yeah, I was struggling along mentally, I was Really perturbed that things weren't going my way in the weather department. I was sorta 'coaching' my BFF along the way, saying positive things, which was just as much an effort to keep my head in a positive mindset as hers, as my clothes became soaked and I was cold and miserable.
And somewhere a bit after mile 2, two thoughts popped into my head. One, was that my Dad was probably looking down at me laughing his ass off at my ridiculousness to be running out in this weather. And as I was thinking about him and the rough shape he was in during his later years, the second thought popped into my head that, I CAN walk, and I CAN run... Matter of fact, I GET to run, in this race to help support a great organization. And there are so many people out there, of different ages, facing different physical ailments or disabilities who can't run, or walk. And I can, and I need to continue to have gratitude for that.
And so I do, I'm grateful that me and T finished the race, (especially since she easily could have bailed on me; thanks to her for her effort!) And I'm super grateful for the warm shower I took afterwards. I get to run and walk, even in the rain.
![]() |
| "Rain Must Fall" is from Queen's 1989 album The Miracle |

1 comments:
Awesome post. Congrats, Sarah!
Post a Comment