So I went back to the gym tonight after a bit of a hiatus (not doing so good with the whole resolution to be more devoted to my health!) and I did some running there. The gym was packed; which sorta made me cranky when I got there...guess everyone else's doing better on their new years resolution than me... jerks!
But then as soon as some toothpick of a middle schooler got off a treadmill, I hopped on it. And then I remembered how much I've grown to love running. As some mindless pop played through my earbuds (and yes, this post title IS the name of a Ke$ha song, thank you very much!) I felt a really great surge of energy at the start of my run. I did some hills and sprints; trying to get some variety in there. I learned that a 7 incline IS a bit too much for me.. But I also learned that I am capable of running at 7.5 MPH for 30 seconds.
I find that I really enjoy running outside a lot more than I do on the dreadmill. I also find that I love the challenge of it, and the solitary nature of running. Sure, I was at the gym with a lots of other people tonight, but the running was just me. When I'm running, I'm focused on my form, and, when on the dreadmill, on the numbers on the screens telling me how fast I'm going, how many calories burned, heart rate, etc. I've come to learn over the years that every run is unique; when I was just starting out, I faced mostly agonizing, challenging runs. Even as I got better at it, I still would occasionally be thrown off by a particularly rough run. These such runs can be challenging for different reasons; sometimes it's a lack of motivation from the start, sometimes it's problems with pacing. Tonight's run started out amazing, but ended up really leaving me feel physically defeated. But there's something to be learned from the tough runs. Tonight's for example, reminded me that it's never a good idea to start out overly confident, pushing harder and faster than I can really maintain. My best runs have been ones where I've sustained a steady, slower pace, being more focused on running with a more realistic focus on my abilities and limitations.
lt kinda reinforces what's important in life in general; to go about somewhat humbly, at your own pace, without being caught up in overconfidence, or perhaps trying to impress others.
Eh, or maybe I'm just ranting about nonsense. Maybe a run is just a run. Either way, I dig it
0 comments:
Post a Comment