BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Doin' Alright

My chiropractor was uncharacteristically concerned about my apparent level of stress when I went in for an adjustment today.  I don't advertise what's roaming through my mind, but apparently there are obvious physiological manifestations of my anxiety, so I guess he was on to me.  In sort of an unusual admonition, he said "you gotta work out and relieve that stress!" And so, despite my really crummy mood when I got home, (hunger, irritability, thoughts about things stressing me out that are completely out of my control) I made a deal with myself that I'd go at 8 tonight.  And man, am I glad I did!

I signed up for an indoor tri next month; my strategy is that spending money on these events gives me incentive to prepare for them and get my money's worth, so I tell myself that I have to work out.  So, off to the recumbent bike I went, which, unlike last time, actually wasn't bad tonight.  Then I went off to the dreadmill for a 30 minute run.  My collection of over the top dancy pop on my playlist, and my interest in politics left me watching the State of the Union while I was listening to Lady Gaga.  That was an interesting experience, for sure.

What I got out of this tonight was that what I often tell my clients to do appears to be some good advice.  When you're stressed out, overwhelmed by things that are completely out of your control, it's good to identify something that you can have some control over, and act on that.  So, for me tonight, working out was something i had control over; no one else, and doing it helped me to feel a whole lot better; both physically and mentally.  I know that half of it is that the act of exercise released endorphins in my brain, which improved my mood.  But I also think that this control thing; taking charge of something that I could do, was the other half of why it was such a positive experience for me.  So, I'll be back at it again tomorrow (weather permitting), going to the pool for a swim.  Sadly, I can't listen to Lady Gaga or Freddie Mercury in the pool, but, oh well.

0 comments: