So, I was recently in a car accident, which thankfully resulted in no injuries, but unfortunately resulted in my favorite car being totalled.. My fabulous, lovely Saturn Ion which had pretty much everything I ever wanted in a car. (insert pouty face).
Sadness aside, over the last couple of days, I've been looking at my options, and talking to some people about how I now have to buy a new car. As people typically do, they take the opportunity to give you their advice, their two cents on the matter. Today, my chiropractor was the latest person to chime in, and he was the 4th or 5th person to say to me, "You should get a Hyundai." I've also been advised to get a Kia, which is really just a Hyundai in disguise.
(Full disclosure, I did actually have a Hyundai years ago; but I'm not about to get one again.)
What's the big deal with everyone trying to tell me to get a cheap foreign car????
I know that American cars kind of have a bad rap, but is it really justified? Case in point; that Hyundai I had needed the transmission replaced at around 32,000 miles. Sure, it was covered by warrantee, but what the hell? AND, it crapped out again just over 100,000 miles, which, incidentally, was just after the warranty expired. I wasn't particularly impressed. My Saturn Ion; healthy transmission, and, likely no less capable of handling that impact than my old Hyundai Accent.
The thing is, I think it's important to buy an American-made car, and yes, living with a UAW organizer has shaped my perspective on this. I've learned why it's important to support businesses which employ people here in the US, who build products within good working conditions, for decent wages. I can appreciate that not everyone has the same viewpoint on it that I do. But, I didn't realize that this idea seemed so,well....foreign to other people. Over the years, I've even noticed that some organizers from my union drive foreign-made cars, which seems especially baffling to me. Seeing as you gotta buy a car anyways to get around; why NOT spend your money on a product that's built by union members working in our own country? (Especially if you're someone who represents US union workers...). Why not support US products, and therefore, US jobs?
By the way, for a complete listing of makes/models that are made by union auto workers in the US or Canada, check out http://www.uaw.org/cars
Ok, getting off my soapbox now. I'd love to hear any thoughts on the issue.
Thursday, November 10, 2011
I'm in love with my car
"I'm in Love With My Car" is a Roger Taylor creation,
from the 1975 Queen epic A Night at the Opera
Posted by Sarah A to Z at 7:44 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I have loved ever Ford I have ever driven especially my current Focus Wagon. Small car with a lot of room. Everything I could ever need. Plus the fact that my Dad's escort drove over 300,000 miles without a new engine, transmission or clutch. My old Escort was well over 150,000 miles before it blew a piston (sad face). But Karma (my Focus Wagon) has been with me for about 50,000 miles and has over 125,000 miles total. Still runs like a dream!
I agree with buying American (with the exception of Subarus, great cars!) There is just no reason not to buy American.
Sorry to hear about your Ion, Kevin was sad when his Saturn died too. But I wish you the best of luck in your car search (even if you don't use my two cents). :)
I'm looking for a new car too, and we are buying American - although like your other friend we have considered a Subaru, but that's the only exception. So, bottom line, like usual I agree!
Get another Saturn Ion, silly! Maybe get a new color to spice things up a bit, but stick with what's good! I sooo loved my Ion. I too was sad when I had to give it up. But now I have the party van so....winning!
My family has driven American for my entire life, and with the exception of my mom's mini-van, they've all been Fords. The first one I drove full time was a Taurus, then an Escort, and when it came time to get my own vehicle, I got a Ranger. My truck now has about 145,000 mi on it (it had 20 mi when I drove it off the lot). I think I've only spent $5K on it in repairs over its life. I fully support buy American. I do realize, however that many of the components may not be made here, but supporting the parent company does support the local workers, regardless of what union they work under...
Post a Comment