BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Don't Lose Your Head

So today I went out for a run, with a group of ladies who regularly get together to run on Sundays.  I haven't been consistently running lately (in large part because I don't have an upcoming race that I'm training for) and so I was pretty nervous about going out today.  I'd done a bit of running yesterday at the gym, and it just wasn't pleasant.  I remember this time last summer, when I was running far more consistently as I was training for a 10K, I was often out at 6am getting my mileage in before I went to work, and I can't even fathom finding the motivation to do that this summer.  I feel like a slacker for not being at that same place physically right now, and for not getting my shit together to make healthier, more disciplined lifestyle choices.  I was reminded of this a few days ago when a friend, in a joking manner of course, made a comment about how slow I run.  The fact is, I know that I am in no way a fast runner, but I still found myself bristling at this comment.  Even though, in reality, most days I know that I'm okay with what I'm doing, hell, at least I get out there at all, ever, and this person doesn't even run.  
I was reminded today that it's really easy to get immersed in this self negativity, to have lots of thoughts flowing through our minds of all the things we should be doing, or can't do, or aren't doing enough. In part, for me, it comes from a history of criticism that was imposed on me as a kid.  But I think it's also just part of being human, and a female one at that.  We're socialized to never be prideful of what we're good at, the accomplishments we've made, and to always be mindful of what we don't have, aesthetically speaking.  Maybe it's not just part of being a woman, maybe it's become part of the human condition as a whole.  As I think o fit, I have yet to meet a lot of confident, self-assured people.  
I found this picture online today, and though it relates specifically to running, (and makes me feel better about that comment I heard the other day) I think it also speaks to how we can feel better about ourselves if we can look at what we're doing in a different light. 
 No matter what we're doing, how slow we're running, or how crappy it may feel that day, the fact is, it's still a conscious choice we're making to get out there, and even a walk is faster than sitting on the couch and doing nothing.   If you can find a way to remind yourself of this, or some other positive self-mantra, when those negative, critical thoughts set in, you will most likely have a better run, or ride, swim, or weight lifting session.  Running, and I'm sure any other exercise, is just as much mental as it is physical.  So, to my fellow runners, or other types of athletes who may at times be discouraged, I offer this up as some inspiration.  Whatever you're doing, each day, is a choice your making to at least try something to get in some exercise, and that's awesome.

P.S - For all of you dying to know what the post title's about (and I'm sure there's many of you...) "Don't Lose Your Head" is a Queen track from their 1985 Album "A Kind Of Magic", and it's featured in the film "Highlander"; the best 80s movie of all time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Sarah for posting this and for helping me today. I still feel horrible for having you run at my slow pace. I would not be able to run at all if it weren't for you, Charlene, and everyone else motivating me along. I hope one day I will be able to motivate someone like you all have motivated me.

Sarah A to Z said...

Jen, you didn't have me run at your slow pace.. Remember? I chose to run with you, to stick by you!! Love you girlfriend!

William said...

I recently got back to the Middle East after R&R...riding/flying/sitting/waiting for 40-hours from the time I left Salem until officially back on post...and my motivation to run was low. In addition, I had the beginnings of a sinus infection creeping up on me, though I didn't know that until the next day or so.

We have an Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) in about 6 weeks or so. About a week after getting back, I ran a 5K in honor of my brother-in-law/US Coast Guard Birthday. I'm not proud of my time, as it was much longer than previous 5Ks, but I found two points of motivation during the run...

1. I was running to honor a part of the US Armed Forces, one of the most honorable military groups in the world, and specifically my brother-in-law, who is serving in Puerto Rico as an O-3/LT.

2. No matter the final time...finishing was the goal. I wasn't overly concerned with running fast, but at the same time, I didn't want to slack off and just do a Ranger shuffle or worse, walk...especially not with my fellow servicemembers running/jogging with me.

I guess my point is that motivation can come from many places, but pride and honor make a strong ally, and I can at least say that I finished with my pride and honor intact. Now to actually do some training for the other 5Ks and the APFT...