BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Hero

     It's been a while since my last post.  It's been a time of new beginnings;  a new position at work, and a recent move into an amazing place that I'm totally thrilled about.  I am excited about starting this new chapter, I feel like I've finally, fully moved into adulthood.

    There's a funny thing about moving; as much as it represents newness and change, it also brought up some memories of the past, as I packed and unpacked some things.  The last of the boxes to be unpacked contained some things of my Dad's.  This weekend was a bit tough for me, given that it was my first Father's day without him.  A good friend of mine had a great suggestion though; that it could still be a time to celebrate how great he was.  So, thinking about some of his things that I have, I got an idea...


It's a shadowbox; filled with some of my dad's things from boy scouts.

    My Dad was a boy scout all throughout his childhood.  He made it all the way to Eagle Scout, which takes some serious time and dedication.  Being in the Boy Scouts was a really formative experience for him; he regularly spoke of the great memories he had of camping as a kid, and being a scout leader as an adult.  I think that the positive male role models in the Scouts were an important influence on him in the absence of his own father who left when he was a kid.
    At the top right of the box is a picture of him, all dressed up in his uniform, at age 15.  There's a joy and happiness on his face that makes me smile when I look at this picture.
    On the bottom right of this box, above the compass, is a card with The Scout Oath on it.  It reads, "On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the scout law.  To help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight."  The Scout Law, below it reads "A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, reverent".  Reading this card, it's clear to me why being a Scout was so important to him.  My Dad exemplified these qualities and values in his lifetime.  To read this card is to read a description of who my Dad was, and I am so proud to say that.
    The title of this post is the name of a Queen song, and I picked it because it reflects who my Dad is to me; a hero.  The hero.  He was never rich, or highly powerful, but he was a good, sincere and honest person.  He became a great father, even though he didn't really have one of his own.  He was a parent who always let me know I was loved, and made me feel important.  Honestly, I don't think a kid could ask for more than that.  So, for every Father's Day from now on, I will reflect on how lucky I am to have had such a great Dad.

3 comments:

Melissa Wooten said...

Sarah, what a beautiful post. I didn't know your dad but I bet, based on everything I have read, he is smiling with you now.

Sarah A to Z said...

Thanks Melissa :)

Anonymous said...

What an amazing tribute to your Dad making that shadowbox! You put your feelings into words so beautifully. Your Dad raised a great daughter.